- Excellent restaurant and bar meals are available from the hotel next door to Chestnut Villa.
- There are also hotels and restaurants in Beauly (2 miles away) and in Dingwall (6 miles away)
Cafes/Take away food
- There is a cafe in Muir of Ord village, just a few minutes’ walk from Chestnut Villa.
- For take-away food, there is a fish and chip shop in the village, and also an Indian takeaway.
- Additional cafe/take-away facilities can be found in Beauly, 2 miles away.
Where are we?
- Muir of Ord is some 11 miles west of Inverness (the capital of the Highlands), and approximately 6 miles south of Dingwall.
- A link to a zoomable map is included on the “Location” page.
How to find us?
- The quickest route by road for those approaching from the South is via the A9 from Perth to Inverness, and then via the A9 and A832 to Muir of Ord.
- From Inverness, an alternative route can be taken via the A862 to Beauly and then Muir of Ord
- The nearest railway station is in Muir of Ord, just a short walk from Chestnut Villa.
- There is a regular service to and from Inverness.
- From Muir of Ord, it is also possible to travel to Achnasheen, and then to Strathcarron, Plockton, and Kyle of Lochalsh on the west coast.
- It is also possible to travel by rail to Wick, right in the north east corner of Scotland
- There is a regular bus service from Muir of Ord to both Inverness and Dingwall.
- Bus stops are close to Chestnut Villa.
- The nearest airport is at Inverness (Dalcross), approximately 8 miles east of Inverness.
- There are bus services from the airport into the city centre.
- Car hire is available from the airport.
- Car hire is not available in Muir of Ord itself.
- However, most of the national car hire companies have branches in Inverness and/or at Inverness Airport
- Cycle hire is available in Inverness from Highland Cycles, 16a, Telford Street, Inverness – tel. 01463 234789
- Muir of Ord has a golf course situated on flat heathland just on the southern extremity of the village.
- There is also a superb course at Strathpeffer with spectacular views – bring your camera! This course, is, however, very strenuous as it is located on a steep hillside.
- Another course nearby is at Aigas, just to the south west of Beauly. This is a 9-hole course set in undulating parkland between Aigas Forest and the River Beauly in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
- See “Useful Links” page for more information about these courses.
- Loch, river, and sea fishing are all available in the area.
- Permits can be obtained for fishing at Conon Bridge and Strathconon.
There are many good walks in the area, most being well marked with signposts and waymarks.
For more serious hill-walkers who are interested in Munro-bagging, there are several Munro’s within a short distance, the best-known being Ben Wyvis (3,433 feet) just to the north west of the Black Isle.
We regret that dogs are not allowed at Chestnut Villa.
For the benefit of other visitors, we ask that you please refrain from smoking in the bedrooms, the residents’ lounge or the dining room.
How to make an advance booking.
In order to make an advance booking, please to “Enquiries“
Accommodation, Prices, etc
Triple bedroom with 1 double bed and 2 single beds, accommodating up to 4 people.
Residents’ lounge with TV.
From £30.00 per person per night sharing, including breakfast.
Children under 12 – half price if sharing with 2 adults.
Special terms may be available for Winter Breaks – please go to “Enquiries“
There is a free Wi-fi Internet connection available.
For advance bookings, we require a deposit of £25 plus a completed Booking Form.
In order to obtain a Booking Form -please go to “Enquiries“
Evening meals are not provided.
However, there are a number of places to eat out in the locality, we can particularly recommend the Ord Arms Hotel for evening meals. This hotel is situated right next door to Chestnut Villa.
There is ample off-road parking space available at Chestnut Villa.
All parking in Muir of Ord village is free of charge, and with very minimal restrictions.
Chestnut Villa is fully centrally heated.
All rooms have en-suite facilities with a shower, together with WC and wash hand basin.
All rooms have electric shaver points
All rooms have hair dryers provided.
Alarm Clock Radios
All rooms have alarm clock radios provided.
Tea/Coffee Making Facilities
There are hospitality trays in each room.
All rooms have colour televisions.
There is also a TV in the Residents’ Lounge.
There is no telephone specifically available for the use of guests.
However, the owner’s telephone can be used by prior arrangement, if required.
There is generally good reception for most mobile phone networks in Muir of Ord and the surrounding area.